08 September 2007

Wrinkle No More

One of my favorite childhood writers died yesterday at the age of 88. Madeleine L'Engle was the author of the 1962 book, Wrinkle In Time, the book that introduced generations of children to science fiction and fantasy. I spent my grade school years reading about Meg Murray, Charles Wallace and Calvin through Wrinkle and its sequels Wind in the Door, and A Swiftly Titling Planet. As I got older, however, my favorite series of hers was the Austin Family series. I was captivated by A Ring of Endless Light and subsequent novels in the series.

Much like JK Rowling who followed in her footsteps years later, L'Engle's books touched on sweeping adult themes such as the battle against evil, totalitarianism and the power of love. They were captivating books that transported readers to new worlds and made you understand this world better. Only the best writers can do this. And L'Engle was one of the best. While the planet may no longer tilt for her, her stories live on. And through them, so does she.

No comments:

Lennex Concert - Baltimore Maryland